Essential Oils: How NOT to buy
I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about how to get started with purchasing and using essential oils. I love oils so much and really believe in their many uses and benefits as we’ve seen them first hand in our family, so I’m sharing about them all the time. If you are a local friend or family member of mine I’ve probably offered you an essential oil to try.
Where and how NOT to buy essential oils
I’m a very frugal gal. I will search for deals all over the place, my favorite being certain websites with “prime” benefits. Great deals shipped to me in 2 days! Who can resist! There are a lot of great things to buy on websites like this, but essential oils are not one of them, and here’s why:
- These oils do not come from the source. Reputable essential oil companies do not condone the selling of their product on 3rd party websites, which means that these oils aren’t coming from the company, even if it says their name under “seller”. (Talk about an ethics issue!)
- These oils are not guaranteed pure and potent. If they don’t come from the source, there is no way to be sure what you are actually getting. Even though the bottle is “sealed” it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been tampered with. Re-capping supplies can also easily be purchased online!
Bottom line: if the price seems “too good to be true” it definitely is.
- These oils are often not pure and potent. I would never recommend using these oils topically or internally as they are most often only meant for aromatic use. In my opinion, if I can’t safely use an oil topically, I don’t want it floating around in the air I breathe either.
- If you read the label, many of these oils are diluted with a carrier oil. So when you thought you were saving money based on the sticker price, you actually aren’t based on potency.
- If you buy oils at the grocery store, online, etc. you don’t always know what you’re getting- as mentioned above. When you buy from the source you have access to all their ingredients and where the plants came from!
- When you buy without a wellness advocate you may not be getting the oils you actually need and end up wasting money.
- When you buy from a company that is offering deep discounts it may be at the cost of their farmers or other employees. What I love about my favorite essential oil company is not only do they pay farmers and distillers fair wages year round, they partner with them to educate them on the best methods to ensure pure and potent oils. Just Google co-impact sourcing!
- With a wellness advocate you get a teacher, a mentor , a friend who can guide you through the purchasing process and beyond. We are here to help you figure out what oils are best for you and your family as well as to teach you how to safely and effectively use them! Plus 9 times out of 10 you can get a sample of an oil to try before you buy- what online retailer or grocery store offers that?!
How to buy pure + potent essential oils: